Sunday, November 13, 2011

Horses Are Not a Good Idea

Wednesday evening after clinical a friend and I decided to go riding. We had been doing this for about a month regularly. We did it to relax and get away for awhile. We headed back to the barn because it was starting to get dark out. I seen the tail end of something white and furry and big running through the woods. Mistie seen it to, we gave our horses a tap so they would speed up and we could see what this animal was before it headed into the woods. Unfortunately our horses both got spooked. Mine took off a dead run, I was scared. Adrenaline was pumping through me. The next thing I know, I am on the ground and I am confused. I can't see anything for the life of me...I can hear a bunch of people talking and they were talking about me. Mistie rushed me to the ER that night, where the ER doctor said I had a concussion and my CT scan results were fine, she let me go home to be monitored every two hours. I slept fine throughout the night, that next morning every time I would stand up I would get this splitting headache and I would get really nauseated and dizzy. My sister in law made me go to a different ER. They repeated the head and neck CT and did a x-ray of my right hip bone due to pain. I waited in the room for what felt like forever with a C-Collar on waiting on the doctor to come back in and tell me the results. She came in, I was told I had a fractured C-2 Vertebrae in my neck. My world got really small at that point. I was scared, she told me they were shipping me out to a bigger hospital. Somewhere where they could deal with my neck, I needed an orthopedic doctor. Once I got to OU Medical Center in the city the doctor came in and did a neurological assessment on me. He was surprised I could feel fine and he teased me about it, he looked over my scans and decided no surgery was needed, but that I would be in a neck brace for roughly 6 weeks. He told me I was lucky 97% percent of people with a "Hangmans Fracture" either die instantly or are paralyzed. God wasn't through with husband comes in really really soon for RR. I am so ready. It's a bitter sweet moment to have my husband back, even for a short amount of time. I am so thankful to be alive today to tell the story, I am thankful I can walk and I am thankful I can go on to nursing school like a normal person with a neck brace. With a little bit of persistence I will be fine....


  1. Oh my gosh! That's so scary. I'm so glad you are ok.

  2. Oh my gosh. Oh my goodness. I am nearly speechless. I literally just completed a trauma course last week, and those were my thoughts exactly - surviving a C2 fracture is almost unheard of. God is good, isn't He? I am completely awed by this, Kayla! You are blessed beyond belief. There's no other explanation here. God was holding you while you were riding that horse.

  3. Thank god you are okay, and it wasn't SERIOUS. I missed reading your blog! Hope all is well <3 xx


Please feel free to say what's on your mind. Your thoughts are welcomed and appreciated very dearly!